Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dual Boot the Thing of the Past with Windows 8?

I was reading more while I was downloading Windows 8 SDK when I came across an article that seems to change my eyes..

Will Windows 8 block users from dual-booting Linux? Microsoft won't say
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/will-windows-8-block-users-from-dual-booting-linux-microsoft-wont-say/10772?tag=content;feature-roto

What has been common in the past was Windows will allow dual boot and I could run two Windows (like 2000 and XP) or Linux and Windows (which I have done). What is being noted in the article is the new secure boot process. But Red Hat developer mentions:

"Garrett’s interpretation of Microsoft’s shared information on the topic:

“Microsoft requires that machines conforming to the Windows 8 logo program and running a client version of Windows 8 ship with secure boot enabled. The two alternatives here are for Windows to be signed with a Microsoft key and for the public part of that key to be included with all systems, or alternatively for each OEM to include their own key and sign the pre-installed versions of Windows. The second approach would make it impossible to run boxed copies of Windows on Windows logo hardware, and also impossible to install new versions of Windows unless your OEM provided a new signed copy. The former seems more likely.

“A system that ships with only OEM and Microsoft keys will not boot a generic copy of Linux.”"

Is the industry going to fight the openness and go back to partnership and people having to take sides? Could this lead to competition war like VHS and BetaMax in the computer OS war and tablet war? That is the question I want to address since the dental industry has gone through that as we speak (and currently is)...

At the end, you have make your decisions wisely on what could be an EOL compare to the winner in the industry... As for me, I want to see how Windows 8 work and how could it work for me and see if I really want to jump to 8 down the road

No comments:

Post a Comment