Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do you really want to run everything on DRAM?

I know everyone is talking about the death of Steve Jobs and I was aware of it while researching on my Green Envy paper on iPads yesterday. I would leave and say that innovation starts with an idea.. Jobs has done something many can't do... Make the idea into fruition and reality. It does take two things.. Passion and Persistence. He is known for both and may he rest in peace..

RAMCloud puts everything in DRAM
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/ramcloud-puts-everything-in-dram/1546?tag=mantle_skin;content

The article in idea is to eliminate the Hard drive, solid state drive, etc. Everything will be running on memory..

Why?
"Imagine a world where data layout doesn’t matter, where apps are optimized for sub-millisecond storage, where 100 byte I/Os are faster and just as efficient as 8KB I/Os. The architectural implications are huge and would take a decade or more to get our heads around"

I eliminates the need for hard drive where performance speed is bottled at hard drive speed.. My example is having a supped up computer that has a lot of hard drive space, have a lot of data stored, and its RPM is low (5400rpm just say). You will see a lag because the read and seek time to find your needed data. It might not be significant now but consider if you have TBs of data.

The issue, the information is volatile. Just like what RAM is, it will lose everything if you have an interrupted power outage. Also, the article points out that DRAM is costly at this current stage.

The whole concept is that it eliminates another variable to the processing flow. It does not need to go to hard drive to read, write, or seek if all could be done on memory.

I do not see that happening in the future or my profession. Would someone by UPS, backup generator, etc. to ensure your information is safe? Some would but not all would (economically). Also, if the memory goes bad (electrical), it could impact your back up log (which is the way it protects the data). This is all hinging that memory rarely goes bad (in my experience, I dealt with many over time).

Great idea but might be bad in application. Maybe with more R&D, it might change again for actuality

No comments:

Post a Comment